Edinburgh Airport Animal Receiving Centre
Extrordinair are approved by APHA (Animal and Plant Health Agency), DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) and the EU Federal Veterinary Office to operate the Animal Receiving Centre / Border Inspection Post at Edinburgh Airport.
The current airlines that are approved to transport animals to Edinburgh are:
- Air Canada
- Qatar Airways
- Swiss Air
- Atlantic Airways
- Turkish Airlines
- Thomson (TUI)
What does the Animal Receiving Centre (ARC) do?
Edinburgh’s ARC will already have received notification from the airline at least 24 hours prior to your animal arriving in Scotland. Accommodation will be reserved in the Centre for your pet. Alongside the veterinary paperwork and microchip checking, Extrordinair will complete the customs paperwork (necessary for animals coming from non-EU countries). Once your pet has successfully passed all the checks it can be customs released to be re-united with their owner. We aim for every pet to be reunited with its owner within 3 hours of arrival.
What do you do?
To prevent unnecessary delays please send copies of the following documents so that we may check them prior to arrival, this gives you the opportunity to correct any potential issues that may be noted.
- EU Pet Passport, or
- Annex IV EU Health Certificate
- Copy of Rabies Certificate and if required blood test certification
- Details of your travel arrangements
To be compliant with the new Pet Travel Scheme Regulations you must travel within 5 days of your pet otherwise it must enter via one of the three UK Border Inspection Posts;
Pets travelling from non EU countries
If your pet does not have an EU Pet Passport, you will need to complete an Annex IV EU Health Certificate. This certificate is valid for 10 days.
Also, if you do have an EU Pet Passport for your pet you must sign a Pet Owner Declaration stating that the pet is not intended to be sold or transferred to another owner.
If you are traveling within 5 days of your pet please visit our Pet Travel Scheme Page for the full entry requirements.
If you are travelling out with 5 days of your pet, or the ‘pet’ move is not in relation to your own relocation i.e. newly purchased animal / rehoming a rescued animal, please visit our Border Inspection Post page for further information.
NOTES ON CUSTOMS (HMRC) REQUIREMENTS FOR THE IMPORTATION OF YOUR PET/SMALL ANIMAL
Customs procedures for entry from non EU countries
Owners of pets transferring residency from non-EU countries (including students):
- Owners must apply for Transfer of Residency (ToR) relief in advance of arrival, the process is not complicated, owners must complete the form on the following link and then submit to HMRC https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-transfer-of-residence-tor-relief-tor01 A reference number will then be issued by HMRC which will allow the pet to enter the UK without payment of VAT
- If there is no ToR reference number available at the time of arrival in the UK Customs VAT will be payable, this can be reclaimed when the ToR reference has been issued.
Owners of pets who are UK resident returning to the UK after visiting a non-EU country – No VAT will be payable provided owners can:
- Provide proof that the dog exited the UK with them – i.e. copy export AWB
- Proof of UK residency is also required
NON EU RESIDENTS VISITING THE UK WITH THEIR PETS:
- A full temporary import customs entry will be required, we do this for you, where you will declare your date of departure from the UK
- You must provide proof of your departure i.e. a copy AWB, if your pet is re-exported by us we will inform HMRC.
ANY ANIMAL ENTERING THE UK WHICH HAS BEEN OWNED FOR LESS THAN 6 MONTHS OR IS CHANGING OWNERSHIP, OR BEING PURCHASED IS LIABLE TO PAY CUSTOMS VAT.
Customs VAT is calculated as follows:
- Value of animal
- Cost of transport and arrival charges
- Total x 20% gives you VAT valuation.
Any person importing pets for the purpose of sale or resale, breeding and production who are VAT registered will require an active EORI number prior to arrival so that they may reclaim VAT
Applications can be made via the following link:https://www.gov.uk/eori
We are here to help you, should you have any further questions, please let us know.